This breakfast hash comes together in a snap and it tastes amazing. Frozen hash browns, salty canadian bacon, peppers and onions all crisped up together in one pan and topped with an egg or two!
This breakfast hash has been on repeat for a while now and for good reason. It comes together fast enough for a weekday breakfast but feels like a special occasion meal. Flavor is spot on, texture is perfect. I use Trader Joe’s frozen shredded hash browns because they are just the best frozen hash browns. They don’t have a lot of preservatives, they crisp up beautifully and are priced fairly. Sounds like a lot of wins to me. It also feels perfect for this lost week between Christmas and New Years. Let’s make it!
Disclaimer: this post may contain affiliate links, which means if you decide to purchase any of the items linked in this post, I should earn a small commission. This creates no additional cost to you and helps support the work that goes into running The Fig Jar. Thank you! -Becky
Easy breakfast hash
- Trader Joe’s shredded frozen potato hash browns
- Green bell pepper
- Canadian bacon
- Everyday seasoning or you can use salt and pepper
- Sunflower oil
- Hot sauce
You can sub red, orange or yellow bell pepper for green if you want. You could also use ham instead of canadian bacon. I love the flavor my everyday seasoning blend adds to this dish but you can just sprinkle with salt and pepper if you don’t have it. All toppings are optional but highly recommended.
You don’t have to use Trader Joe’s shredded hash browns, any frozen shredded hash brown should do!
How to make it
Heat oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat.
Add peppers and onions and cook for about 2-3 minutes, then add the hash browns. Stir everything together, then flatten out in a an layer.
Add the diced canadian bacon on top of the hash browns in an even layer.
Once the potatoes begin to brown, flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Slide out on a plate and use the pan to cook eggs.
Enjoy with ketchup and hot sauce for the full experience. Cilantro is totally optional as I mostly just added it for looks but it actually does taste nice all together!
Tried this recipe?
If you try this recipe, please consider leaving a comment/rating below and let me know how it went. I’d love to hear from you! You can also connect with me on instagram and Pinterest.
Easy Ham & Pepper Breakfast Hash
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 heaping tbsp diced green bell pepper
- 2 heaping tbsp diced onion
- 1 1/2 cups trader joes shredded hashbrowns
- 2 slices canadian bacon
- everyday seasoning to taste
- 1 or 2 eggs
- hot sauce
- Add 2 tbsp oil to a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add peppers and onions and cook for 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle with everyday seasoning or salt and pepper.
- Add the hash browns, stir, then flatten out into an even layer. Sprinkle with more everyday seasoning or salt/pepper. Add diced canadian bacon in an even layer and press with the back of a spatula. Cook for about 3-4 minutes, until potatoes begin to brown. Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Slide out onto a plate.
- Spray the pan with non-stick spray and crack egg(s) into the pan, cook to desired doneness.
- Add the egg(s) on top of the hash, top with ketchup, hot sauce and cilantro if desired.
Leave a Reply