Homemade granola that’s better than store bought in every way! I love this granola so much. I think I can safely say it’s the best I’ve made or had! One of the things I’m most excited about is that you actually end up with large clusters of granola instead of toasted and flavored individual oats and nuts. Something that had often eluded me when making granola at home. The other thing I love about it is the flavor of course! Oats, pecans, dried apricots, coconut, flax, pecans, dark chocolate all mingling with warm ginger spice make for such a tasty granola that I have made countless times now.
HOW TO MAKE PERFECT HOMEMADE GRANOLA
It’s so easy! Everything (except for the apricots and chocolate) gets mixed in one bowl and then baked. I add the chopped apricots right when the granola comes out of the oven and then the chocolate once it’s fully cooled.
I’ve adapted this recipe from a Food52 recipe so this granola would not exist without this one. I’ve reduced the sugar slightly, changed up the nuts and added flax, apricots, dark chocolate and of course: ginger!
The ginger is subtle in this, but crucial. It adds warmth and spice without taking over the show. In fact, there isn’t really anything that takes over and I think that’s why it’s so good. Dark chocolate and apricot are already so good together and adding ginger to the mix makes things magical.
Apricot Ginger Dark Chocolate Granola
- 3 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 cup raw pepitas
- 1 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup coconut
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/4 cup dried apricots chopped
- 3 1/2 oz dark chocolate chopped
- Preheat oven to 350.
- To a large bowl add: oats, nuts, coconut, flax, salt, ground ginger and brown sugar. Mix to combine all ingredients then add maple syrup and olive oil. Mix until all ingredients are moistened.
- Press into two, parchment-lined baking sheets (one regular sized sheet and a smallish one should do).
- Bake for 30 minutes, rotating the racks half-way through, until browned. Soon after removing from the oven, add the chopped apricots and mix into warm granola. Once the granola has cooled, add the dark chocolate.