Lemon Herb Tahini Sauce thats ready in 10 minutes, super creamy and flavorful? Lets do this!
I love this Lemon Herb Tahini Sauce so much! It’s the perfect sauce for falafel, veggies, meat and more! And it’s made with just 8 ingredients—tahini, lemon, parsley, cilantro, chives, garlic and salt so it’s super simple and as you can guess, packed with flavor! It’s wholesome and adds the perfect bit of flair to whatever you put it on. Let’s make it!
Disclaimer: this post may contain affiliate links, which means if you decide to purchase any of the items linked in this post, I should earn a small commission. This creates no additional cost to you and helps support the work that goes into running The Fig Jar. Thank you! -Becky
What is tahini?
Tahini is a paste made from ground sesame seeds. You can usually find it roasted or unroasted. I usually like to get roasted tahini for a more toasty sesame flavor. Tahini is common in mediterranean dishes so it naturally pairs well with things like falafel and grilled chicken.
Tahini is naturally creamy and therefore, creates a rich creamy sauce without dairy, making this sauce naturally dairy-free! It has a delicious nutty flavor and to me, is slightly bitter on its own, but when combined with the flavors of fresh herbs, lemon and garlic it has a richer, more balanced flavor.
Lemon Herb Tahini Sauce
I love making my own sauces because I can make them wholesome with no weird additives or stabilizers and I can control the salt level too!
- Tahini – go with roasted and unsalted tahini. If you do get salted, you will probably want to hold off on adding any additional salt until you blend the sauce. Then taste and adjust to your preference.
- Herbs – I used parsley, cilantro and chives, but feel free to play around with what you have. If all you have is parsley and cilantro, that will work just fine too!
- Lemon – fresh lemon juice is the way to go here.
- Garlic – fresh, raw garlic
- Spices – just keeping it simple with salt
- Water – so there’s an extra ingredient, but I think we all have this one on hand all the time 🙂
How to make lemon herb tahini sauce
It really doesn’t get much simpler than this! Just throw all the ingredients in your blender (affiliate link) and blend until smooth. You can also use a food processor to blend the sauce. You are now ready to enjoy your delicious homemade Lemon Herb Tahini Sauce!
What to eat with Lemon Herb Tahini Sauce
Oh so many wonderful options here! This sauce is delicious with:
- Drizzled over roasted vegetables or as a dip for raw veggies
- Over a grain bowl
- With grilled chicken
- As a dip for pita bread
- In a wrap with Chickpea & Black Bean Salad
- On a veggie sandwich
Feel free to sub in other herbs or change up the amounts of each to suit your tastes. If you don’t have chives, you can also just stick with parsley and cilantro!
Adding a touch of maple syrup or honey can also bring further balance to the sauce if you want to mellow out the garlic and lemon a bit.
Storage and shelf-life
Store this sauce in a jar with a secure lid in the refrigerator and enjoy for up to 1 week.
Tried this recipe?
Lemon Herb Tahini Sauce
- Blender or food processor
- 2/3 cup unsalted tahini
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro packed
- 2/3 cup fresh parsley packed
- 2 tbsp fresh chives roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 3/4 tsp salt
- maple syrup optional
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Add more water by the tbsp if the sauce is not smooth. Taste and add more salt by 1/4 tsp if desired. You can also try adding about 1 tbsp of maple syrup.